Background

Friday, July 29, 2011

7/27 Casiklan...or Bust!!

We decided to leave at 5:30 am to get to Casiklan by 8 am, but we really didn't leave until 5:45am...good thing we left as early as we did, because the '2 hour trip', turned into almost 4 hours.....

ASCENDING THE MOUNTAINS TOWARDS CASIKLAN
muddy, muddy, muddy...get off and walk up the mountain!!
Sylvette's sandal broke, so she went barefoot all the way to Casiklan...
A much better way to travel....sometimes
Struggling up the mountain through the clay-filled mud
What you don't know...is that Bong and Sylvette fell into the water right before this picture was taken.....
Struggling to pull the bike through the muddy waters
How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of them who bring good tidings...
Jordan's turn to ford the mighty stream (Jordan is an excellent driver...he overcame the mountain even though he had almost 0...zip...nil traction on his tires, and his bike was in bad condition, praise the Lord!!)
A flock of kids gathered to watch the proceedings...
D'lyn!! Just start please!!!
Unfortunately, because "D'lyn" (Bong's bike) fell into the water, on the exhaust pipe's side, the engine wouldn't start...... SO, here we are, about 2 hours into the drive, with only 45 minutes left on a good day, and we can't get the bike started!!!
After working on it for 20 minutes, a few bikes came by, stopped, and helped us!! 2 of the bikes were full of pastors, headed for a pastor's meeting. They stayed with us for over half an hour...and when they REALLY needed to get going, a few of them stayed back to still help until we got the bike got started. They used different techniques, including rolling the bike up the road, and then 3-4 guys trying to get the engine to start, before it hit the 'stream'....it was pretty funny to watch. Pretty funny because every time a bike came by, all actions stopped, and we watched as they tried to get across. Many did, a couple turned back, when they saw how bad the roads were on the other side, and a few fell in.


It got to the point, at 45 minutes past, that we thought about just going on ahead, and leaving Bong with the bike....it was a ridiculous thought....3 people on the bike, with our gear, on the terrible roads....we'd practically walk the whole way....OR...turning back, because maybe God just didn't want us to go...

It was at this point that I feel was the breaking point with me and God...yes, I had surrendered seeing Casiklan to God, but I figured we would probably end up getting there at one point or another...but now, we might not see it either way.... Knowing we couldn't take 3 people, I volunteered to stay behind with Bong, because Jordan and Sylvette had much more experience with Tuli than I had, and would be much more needed....

Only 15 minutes after that, we decided to use the rusty, old spare spark plug from Gina (Jordan's bike), and see if that was the problem, and voila! D'lyn started!!! And we headed off to Casiklan once again.
Until this point, Jordan and I had only fallen once, towards the beginning of the trip, due to the terrible traction on his bike, when going through complete muddy clay...Unfortunately, we met both extremes.....both mud/clay and rock......
A little kid went into this tree....
See the kid in the top of the tree???? And he climbed it by himself
After moderate conditions, we turn a corner, and there we are, on the brink or a steep slope of pure rock. On a Jeepney, it's not a problem....they do much better on rock than mud, but for motor bikes, rock is much worse. Jordan prepared me for what to expect and how to position myself, and then we followed Bong's bike down the mountain. Half way down, the rocks gave way, the bike slipped, and we fell pretty hard to the left. Not really hurt, we got back on, and kept going, and within 15 minutes, we were in Casiklan, with only 2 more little incidents, due to bad traction....one, we partially fell, and the other, we all but fell....it was precarious and hilarious!!!
Sometimes, this is the better way to ride....
During our ride to Casiklan, I reflected on the D'lyn's bike problems, and realized that one of the reasons God allowed it to happen, was to make me completely trust in him, and make me surrender my will to Him fully. He was testing me to see what and where my priorities were. He also taught me that no matter what He allows to happen, He is in control, and yes, things worked out well this time, but it might not next time, and I know I can still trust Him!!
 
 CASIKLAN TULI
 I did not tell the Casiklan team I was coming or that I was even in Butuan, because we kept not going to Casiklan, and I didn't want to get their hopes up....they eventually found out that Sylvette and I had made it to Butuan, last Sunday, and were quite shocked.... Anyway, when we got off the bikes in Casiklan, they were completely shocked and excited!!

After 'trying' to wash our shoes in the back, and relaxing/catching up for a bit, 5 boys showed up for Tuli. After then preparing everything, we started.... I knew at least 2 of the little boys who had it done--they were brothers, and so precious....5 and 8 years old. Their dad was a great support. Since there were so few to be done, I didn't actually do one or assist any, but rather put together pill packages, wrote out instructions, took pictures, and took a nap...per the team's instructions...
Preparing
Tuli!!
Jordan, Hannah, Katie, Etienne, Balong, Jillian, and Bong
Sylvette signing the Trio's shoes (they bought blank shoes to be signed by everyone in the Mall)
Yeah....so this was before the team sent me to bed....Thanks Bong for snapping this picture with my camera.....lol
This picture was originally just the 3 girls....but, um....lol
Sylvette, Jilian, Bong, Hannah, Balong, and Katie
Oh Jordan.....(Sakit means "pain")...yes, seriously, that is what he wore all day....it was hilarious, and the Filipinos loved it.
It was so funny because after we ate lunch, and were almost done putting everything away, 3 more kids walked in the door, wanting Tuli done!! (making 8 total)... So, we got our stuff back out, and did 3 more!! lol
Signing the shoes.....("gotta sign the shoes!!")
It's normal here, but I just found it funny that this little girl (whether they are related or not, I don't know) was the one to help this little boy put his pants on.....
Leaving....sakit indeed!! But, I'm so glad I was able to come....
Last view of the H/C / beloved Barangay Hall
We ended going back after we picked up gas at the Sari-Sari store, to pick up a few items we left, as well as have Sylvette sign the shoes....lol
After we left Casiklan, we stopped at the Purok that Lauralen lives in to give her the pictures of baby Kylie's birth, check up on them, and get more pictures of the baby and us...and boy, is she a sweetie!!!
 DESCENDING THE MOUNTAINS
Though the roads had definitely improved with the sunshine, and the 'stream' had been emptied some, conditions were still not good, and it took about 3 hours to get home, after we left at 2 pm.
Entering the terrible hill of clay
Always the optimist....thanks Bong for your smile!!
As usual, there was a jeepney struggling to get up the hill.
Slowly and carefully descending
In line with 5 other drivers, waiting for the first driver to get unstuck.
A closer look...
Stuck, and waiting...
Cleaning up after the big hill, so our bikes will actually go without lugging, and spitting mud clots
Using his precious water supply
Shortly after the big hill, we got to one of the worst spots coming down than we have the whole trip....and that was the un-evadable pit of mud...Easy going up, because you have the whole road, but coming down, there is only one spot you can go down, and you get stuck no matter what...guaranteed...
Bong had the worst of it, because there was some board way down that  had it's clutches on his bike...it took 15 minutes to get D'lyn unstuck...
Working.....trying....to get it unstuck....
A Closer Look
Yes, that's mud..... 
Jordan's turn to get stuck...(notice the guy up the hill prepping for his turn, and the guy going up the hill, who is waiting to help...lol)
Cleaning up at the real stream
Water felt sooo good!!! Especially when your shoes are FILLED with mud!!
Washing up... 
What a stick to clean the bikes out with!!! 
Oops!! I almost hit Sylvette!!! :) 
Sylvie and the stick...
Monday night, Bong and Jordan got permission from the "top dog" to go to Butuan with us, so that Jordan would be able to see Davao City, before settling down for the next 4+ years with Medical School. When they got permission, it was a blast watching their expressions...we all went ballistic....

The plan was that we would leave early (instead of sometime on the 28th), on the 27th, and then spend the day of the 28th together exploring Davao City. Originally, we had planned to leave Butuan on the 5 o'clock bus, but with getting home past 5pm, needing to shower, pack our stuff, and wash the bikes off, we didn't leave until past 6:30pm.

We had just gotten into town, when Jordan's bike started acting up...we stopped and checked it, and found that the engine wasn't completely put together tightly, and with all the rattling of today's adventures, some parts had come a bit loose. So, we went to plan B--Sylvette and I went to "McDo" and got dinner and then rode a Tricee to the Bus Terminal, while Bong and Jordan took the bikes their drop-off point, and texted the BOOST, asking them to get the bikes to the Bike Shop on the next day.
We ended up taking the 8 o'clock Bust to Davao, and spread out to sleep. My stomach had started to feel funny on the way back from Casiklan, and now it felt a lot worse... I was really hungry, and so ate some dinner and tried to sleep... I hardly ever get car sick, but an hour out after a few big bumps, I knew I was going to loose my dinner, so I nudged Bong, who was sitting in the seat diagonally in front of me, and asked him to give me a bag or something.... At first, he wasn't sure what I was asking for, and then it happened....he pretty quick realized what happened and got me a bag, and the next time he turned around, everything was back to normal...it was quite funny actually....
Normally (and I'm not boasting, just stating facts :D), the seats next to us white girls are ALWAYS full, and I had 2 empty ones next to me... For the first time, I sat in the outside seat, and besides the lady who sat next to me for the first 1/2 hour, the seats were completely empty!! I was quite shocked actually, and it was such a nice break...especially as my stomach never went completely normal, and I got a 100+ fever 1/2 way through the ride.

I was very glad I'm short, because I was able to curl up perfectly on the seats, with my stuff next to me...

Funny story: At one of the Bus Stops, we took a CR break. I decided to go a little bit later, and bumped into Sylvette coming back. When I got out of the CR, I boarded the bus marked Davao, and quickly realized it was the wrong bus!! Of course, the windows are see through, and (as I figured) Bong and Sylvette were having a good time watching me...good thing I found my error as quick as I did, otherwise Bong would have come and gotten me....anyways, we had a very good laugh about it...

We had the shortest ride ever this time, with the usually 7.5-8 hour drive getting shortened to 6.5 hours!! WOW!!!
WHAT I LEARNED:
- God is always in control...you just need to trust Him
- Today was a good day
- There is almost nothing better--transportation-wise--than a motor bike....next best, is the top of a jeepney....

Texts from the Bukid:
You know what's the sweetest time of the day? It's when you pray....Why??..Because you're talking to the One who loves you most. Great day!! :)

Our love must not be a thing of words and fine talk. It must be a thing of action and sincerity. 1 John 3:18


How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!
~Isaiah 52:7 ~

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, I pray you are feeling better? N&V and fever could be the signs of a bacterial GI issue, and not just car sickness.
    Between the dung laden mud squishing between your toes, the open creek bed waters, and the mosquitoes, you may have contracted a guiardia bacteria. Please consider having a stool specimen tested for ova, parasites and cysts at the clinic. In the meantime, include garlic daily in your diet. A fresh clove swallowed just like a pill. It is a natural antihelmentic.

    God bless you for your fortitude and acts of mercy on this mission.
    Let us know how you are doing.

    L'Chaim, Shalom,
    Doc notutopia

    ReplyDelete

Who does not love comments and reader participation? ;)

Life Update

5 months have passed since my last major update, and lots has happened. Namely, we welcomed baby #2 and #3 into our lives shortly after Chri...